Among the tasks of the technology teacher is the development of students’ digital skills, teaching them to use ICT and product design.
Teacher during a class.
The Technology subject is taught during Compulsory Secondary Education (ESO), in the second and third year. In addition to generic functions, Technology teachers are in charge of developing students’ digital skills, teaching them how to use different ICTs and how to turn a design idea into a real product.
It also carries out tasks of educational intervention, programming, diagnosis, evaluation, teamwork, orientation, tutoring or continuous training. The teacher must adapt these tasks to the specifics of the subject , both from a theoretical and practical point of view.
To know the functions of the teachers who teach the subject of Technology, it is necessary to refer to the current legal regulations that are included in Organic Law 2/2006, of May 3, on education , modified by Organic Law 3/2020, of 29 December , which marks, in its article 91, the functions of the teaching staff .
Some of them are:
• The evaluation of the teaching-learning process.
• The tutoring of students and the guidance and support of their learning by collaborating with families.
• The academic, educational and professional orientation of the students.
• Attention to development in different areas: intellectual, affective, motor, social and moral.
Specific functions of a Technology teacher
Included in the functions that correspond to them, the Technology teachers propose challenges that give rise to the development of thinking and problem solving to favor the fulfillment of the objectives of the subject.
These objectives are established from the curricula of each autonomous community , separated by course and specified in the programming in the centers. These start from the blocks of content collected in the same curriculum. By way of example,
those established for the Autonomous Community of Galicia are mentioned :
• Technological problem solving process.
• Expression and technical communication.
• Materials for technical use.
• Machines and systems.
• Information and communication technologies (ICT).
From these content blocks arise the objectives of the subject , such as:
• Solve technological problems independently, creatively, individually or in a group, working methodically.
• Assume digital skills: through the use of computer programs, the Internet, software and applications..
. influencing those that can be incorporated into their work in the classroom.
• To have techniques for the analysis, intervention, elaboration and manipulation of materials and systems.
• Analyze systems and objects to learn how they work.
• Design of products both manually and by computer.
In order to favor the fulfillment of these objectives, Technology teachers carry out a series of specific functions in their daily work :
• Adapt the contents of the subject.
• Prepare and update the materials to be used.
• Prepares the classes and makes the necessary corrections of the students’ work and their own.
• Establishes a suitable climate in the classroom and proposes challenges to students to develop knowledge.
• Provides the necessary support and adapted to each student.
• It is a guide and support for learning.
What to study to be a technology teacher?
There are two options for teaching the Technology course. On the one hand, there are the private-concerted centers, which set the minimum requirements for the vacancy offered, requiring the specific training and qualifications they require.
On the other hand, in public education centers it is necessary to pass a competition-opposition process established by each autonomous community.
In order to apply, the following requirements are required by law :
• Have Spanish nationality or one of the member states of the European Union.
• Being of legal age and not having reached retirement age.
• Not suffer from illness or limitation that prevents them from performing their duties.
• Not having been separated by disciplinary file from the public administration service.
• Not be a career civil servant, in practice or pending appointment of the same body to which it is presented.• Accredit, if necessary,
knowledge of the co-official language of the autonomous community in which it is presented.
Teachers who want to dedicate themselves to the subject of Technology may opt for training such as UNIR’s online Master’s Degree in ICT . This postgraduate course is focused on completing teacher training so that the teacher incorporates innovative methodologies, digital tools or gamification into their classes, as well as specific content related to the subject of Technology.
In addition, if you want to work as a teacher in a public center, it is required to have the Master’s Degree in Online Secondary Education Teachers (former CAP), apart from the corresponding doctorate, graduate, engineer, architect or degree. Secondary Education Technology teachers are usually profiles associated with the area of science and engineering.